Main Picture

Main Picture

Sunday 8 May 2011

'Majorca'-Better Than An African Violet!

As I have ranted before, why more people do not grow miniature and dwarf pelargonims under lights is beyond me.  Just take 'Majorca' for instance.  Great golden foliage with a nice light copper zone and double pink blooms.  This variety needs very little trimming to keep a nice shape and it blooms nonstop.  And this specimen was grown under lights!  If I havent convinced any violet growers yet, consider this: most zonal pelargoniums are resistant to mites and most thrips!  (Also aphids for other growers)

Finally great weather has hit here in Ontario.  Lots of sun and warmer weather.  I can only imagine the plants will be leaping in the greenhouse this week.  I need to build another shelter in the yard for shielding my plants during heavy rainstorms.  It sounds extreme, but those plants that go outside for the summer never get rained upon.  This cuts down on any fungal disease, but it drastically limits my mobility as I will run outside before and after rain.  No more insane than people jogging I guess.  At least I get some exercise as well as some award-winning specimens!  For anyone not nearly as paranoid as me, some varieties should absolutely be protected from rain such as 'Dolly Varden' and other weaker "silver" tricolours.  As many do not like hot afternoon sun it is best to keep these under shelters in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment