Main Picture

Main Picture

Thursday 5 May 2011

'Black Knight' & Gardening Stress

'Black Knight' is a super variety.  Rich dark foliage and vibrant dark pink/red (I forget the name for this particular colour) blooms.  It is a dwarf, and it grows thick without much trimming maintenance.  I find a lot of the dark foliage/bright flower combos get a lot of attention when guests visit my collections.  It is also useful in breeding.

Now that May is here and the greenhouse is full, there is never enough time in the day.  The week before plant sales is always a killer.  Watering takes forever.  Cleaning takes forever.  And the marketing and tagging takes forever.  Don't get me wrong, I love the challenges of growing plants, and seeing everyone interested is very rewarding.  But I cant wait till the greenhouse thins out, the warmer weather permits many plants to go outside for the season, and I can get a summer vacation with my most favourite plants.  The forecast for southern Ontario is for a warm dry summer.  Is anyone else not believing this?  That is a good pelargonium forecast, but I will believe it when I see it.

Many of my seedlings are changing now that they are growing bigger.  One seedling from a cross made last fall has bloomed!  Golden foliage with large single purple/pink blooms.  An interesting combination and I was very pleased when I saw the blooms today.  The father was 'Crystal Palace Gem' and the mother 'Bold Imp'.  I will get a picture to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment