Main Picture

Main Picture

Monday 2 May 2011

'Jericho' & The Spring Plant Sale

'Jericho' is one of the most beautiful pelargoniums ever created.  Ian Gillam of British Columbia, Canada hybridized this variety and while it is very slow growing, it has extremely beautiful foliage and blooms.  I used 'Jericho' in many crosses this past fall, so hopefully some seedlings will take on some characteristics.  I find it is most happy growing under lights, and while I kept one under the patio umbrella last year, I found it did not appreciate the summer heat.

Well, the big spring sale was yesterday at the TBG.  I was very happy to pick up my Japanese Maples which I preordered through Vineland Nurseries.  I sadly only found ONE (yes, ONE) variety of pelargonium that I needed/wanted.  I sure hope people with good collections start sharing plants or else many varieties will be going extinct over time.  Taking a cutting is so easy to do...it takes less than a minute even with sanitizing the bade and writing a tag.  I am always amazed how poorly people communicate when it comes to their collection lists.  A few people have told me that many people never share or trade plants...ever.  I make my own varieties and love sharing/trading/selling them.  If people do not care to grow my plants they will die with me, and that's a shame.  So hopefully I have inspired everyone that reads this bring more cuttings and plants to your next society's meeting.  Bring something for a new member to welcome them to the club, or extend an olive (err, pelargonium branch) to somebody who could use an act of kindness.  Gardening karma...what goes around comes around...

1 comment:

  1. would like to follow your blog - but not possible
    my blog: PelargonPassion
    lilian/denmark

    ReplyDelete