Main Picture

Main Picture

Monday 13 June 2011

'Bird Dancer' &Cleaning Out The Greenhouse

'Bird Dancer' is a pelargonium that I have had in my collection for a very, very long time.  My mother bought one at a garden center back in the 90s, and it sat on the kitchen table for many months slowly growing.  It was gradually potted into larger containers and I recall it getting very large...at least a foot tall!  It sadly passed away, but cuttings of cuttings of cuttings later, I still keep it growing in my collection.  It is a miniature stellar, but it can over time accumulate size.  It is also classified as a fancy leaved variety as it has a dark zone.  The blooms are pink and very thin.

Sorting out the last stock of a large greenhouse is quite the chore.  It is somewhat like spring cleaning...some plants are pitched, others given away, and some prized specimens carefully up-potted for the summer months.  I produced more than I should have, but I would rather have material to share than not enough to meet the demands of the sales.  Some people are like vultures when I am doing this and will jump on anything that hits the compost can.  I try to tell people why I get rid of certain plants but many dont bother listening...a free plant is a free plant I guess.  I suppose people like a challenge.  One thing is for certain...I have learned what not to grow so much of for next year.

1 comment:

  1. Flowers thin. This is true but what great foliage. I think this is a plant well worth keeping, and in fact, when the plant is covered with dozens of blooms, en masse, those thin blooms are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete