Main Picture

Main Picture

Thursday 28 April 2011

"Kiri' & Dearly Departed Plants

'Kiri' is a really nice specimen stellar.  It has golden leaves and double pink blooms with red splotches.  Sadly I lost mine which I partly blame on the supplier (root mealy bugs are VERY devastating) and a very weird summer a few years back.  I since take cuttings and pitch the roots of new plants (a stitch in time saves nine).  I also take cuttings of plants I like well in advance of any problems that may arise.  It is a constant battle when you have a good collection...and sharing cuttings allows you to have greater backup sources if ever you lose a specimen.  What goes around comes around.  I just wish somebody could share a cutting of 'Kiri' with me, as every time I pass the pot that has tags of plants I have lost I miss it the most.  The tags look like little tombstones with the departed variety names on the little white rounded tags.  Fortunately I have not lost a variety (knock on wood) in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment