Main Picture

Main Picture

Saturday 26 November 2011

'Princess Alexandra' & An Update

'Princess Alexandra' is a very neat pelargonium with rounded, splotched variegated leaves and light purple semi double blooms.  It often produces ghost sports (pure white branches) and I am pretty sure this plant is a tetraploid, as it does not cross with others (in my experience at least), not to mention is pretty funky looking (I swear most tetraploids have unique foliages/growth habits).  I killed my original plant by making a foolish mistake with rubbing alcohol...never get this stuff near the roots!  Thankfully I got another cutting and currently have an ample stock of this variety growing.

I have not updated this blog for a very long time.  I apologize for the delay.  Work has been very hectic, and the fall transition of the plants was quite the chore.  The light gardens had 2 cuttings of each variety started 2 months ago, and I have since moved the duplicates of most varieties into the greenhouse and still need to space out the remainders so they have adequate air space to circulate.  I am foolish for keeping certain more vigorous varieties under lights, but as a paranoid gardener, I expect the worst when it comes to the greenhouse.

My crosses from last year are blooming and doing very well.  Many will be available next spring if I can multiply them quick enough.  There are a few new miniatures and fancy leaved varieties fortunately, and once they are listed and named I will get pictures up for you all to see.  I have one microminiature that is perhaps 2 inches tall...after a year!!!  It has yet to flower, but its so tiny that I am afraid to clone it in the near future.  I have not crossed as many this fall, but a cross of note that has set seed is 'Little John' x 'Mr Henry Cox'.  My fingers are crossed with this one.

The Ontario Club met last weekend and it was nice to talk with new members and old members whom I have not had the chance to get to know yet.  The next meeting is in February at the TBG, so I will post more information closer to the years end.

No comments:

Post a Comment