Main Picture

Main Picture

Monday 25 July 2011

'Barbara Hines' & The Return of Rain!

'Barbara Hines' is one of the most beautiful blooming pelargoniums around.  The massive buds of pink and white cluster together in heavy bundles set against a fairly typical green foliage.  When I got my first specimen it was slow to grow as sin...I am now confident that it was paralyzed somehow (perhaps a pest like the root mealy), but cuttings after cuttings has my current stock healthy and vigorous, and I find this to be a strong grower.

Here in Southern Ontario we have had one hot, DRY summer so far.  The lawns everywhere are yellow, and only the most devoted gardeners have kept their gardens lush through frequent watering.  I have let my lawn go dormant which looks sad, but I have not had to cut it in a month!  I am also hoping the perennial weeds die, and the "dormant" turf wakes up with a greater resilience and once again becomes a thick green carpet.  Ha.  Even I dont buy this line.  I am in for a lot of work trying to get this lawn back to normal.

Today it has finally rained significantly, and even though I normally hate excessive rainfalls, I am enjoying the break in watering.  I think I have stated before that I dont let most of my pelargonium collection get rained one heavily...so last night I tarped, shuffled, and moved trays and trays of plants knowing this storm was coming.  It paid off too as the big Ontario show is in a month, and I want some perfect specimens free from any fungal problems.  Dont forget to come check out the big show at the Toronto Botanical Gardens this August 21st, 2011.

I have noticed that grasshoppers are much earlier this year, and combined with a dry hot summer this is not good.  As I recall, swarming conditions favour this.  I cant imagine saving my collections from a swarm of locusts.  What a nightmare situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment